It is THAT time of the year. All roads lead to EMC World. In fact, as I write this, I am on my way to completing the second leg of my journey to EMC World. I have spent the last few days in Edmonton, Alberta with the VPLEX team. Some of the ideas we have been discussing have been simply mind-blowing. I cannot wait to get to build on those post EMC World. But let us get to the work at hand first. (Incidentally, Edmonton had snow today (May 4th)!!!!!!!! Yeah – thats their definition of spring I am told. Winter is when it is too cold to snow)
This will be our first year EMC World as a part of the new DPAD organization. Tons of excitement on that front. As we worked through the planning for EMC World, one of the big positives was the level of intersection that VPLEX and Recoverpoint have with other parts of EMC and the level of collaboration between all these teams to enable spreading that message. To all these teams, a BIG THANK YOU! This will result in VPLEX and RecoverPoint products having a really good presence on the show floor.
As always the sessions will be chock full of technical and strategy insights. A key part of the messages will be around the launches that we did for RecoverPoint and VPLEX in early April. However, beyond the new capabilities, there will also be sessions for the practitioners as well as customer insights. In fact, one of the key themes for us this year is customers who are presenting at the various sessions with us.
So without further ado, here is the list of VPLEX and RecoverPoint sessions at EMC World this year.
- VPLEX: Introducing the VPLEX Virtual Edition: Presented by Cody Garvin who led the product management effort for VPLEX Virtual Edition. Cody will cover the basics of VPLEX/VE, why we built it the way we have, the use-cases we are targeting it for and deployment topologies that it will work with.
- VPLEX: VPLEX Virtual Edition Architecture and use cases for 2014: Presented by super-CSE Don Kirouac (@dk_defined). Don will cover the gory depths of the VPLEX Virtual Edition to help you understand the architecture as well as what use-cases will work and how they will work out of the gate.
- VPLEX: New VPLEX Provisioning Options with ViPR and Unisphere: Steve Breault and Peter Lund both product managers on the VPLEX team will present the fabulous integration work that has been done between the ViPR and the VPLEX team. They cover in-depth the pieces discussed in my prior blog post (here). In addition, there are new capabilities being added to ViPR to support VPLEX and RecoverPoint. Additionally, they will also discuss the work we have done with VPLEX Integrated Array Services (VIAS) discussed here.
- VPLEX: Advanced Configuration and Design – Performance, Design, Failure Modes and More: The very cool Jen Aspesi (@routr_grl) presents this session. This was a big draw last year. Jen is amping it up with new learnings from the year, recommendations for new configurations. I have a feeling that this session will be oversubscribed once again.
- VPLEX: Continuous Availability For All Business-Critical Applications: Robert Wagner presents this session. Here his focus is on the application layer and how they can be configured / structured to support continuous availability. If you think applications and VPLEX, this session is for you.
- VPLEX: The Future of Availability powered by New VPLEX Use-cases: I have the privilege of presenting this session. This is an overview session which will talk about all the things that we have announced in 2014. It is a breadth first session which covers all the areas first and then each of the sessions above go into greater depth.
- Introducing MetroPoint: Combining The Best Of VPLEX Metro And RecoverPoint Capabilities: This is an _awesome_ session presented by Saar Cohen, Chief Architect of RecoverPoint and Idan Kentor, one of our RecoverPoint focused CSE team members. I have seen Saar and Idan present this session in practice sessions. The content is top-notch and they cover the nitty-gritty of MetroPoint exceptionally well. You get the technical depth as well as the practical knowledge to realize your three site HA/DR dreams!
- RecoverPoint Overview: Top Reasons Why Users Love It: Yossi Saad leads the Business Development team for VPLEX and RecoverPoint. He will cover the very well-known aspects as well as the not so well-known aspects of why RecoverPoint is the compelling solution that it is.
- RecoverPoint: Accelerated Recovery for Virtual Environments: Yair Cohen presents this session that goes into depths of how RecoverPoint can protect and recover from virtualized environments. This shows all the work that we are doing to integrate with VMware and how those environments can be tuned / modified to make the experience seamless.
- RecoverPoint: Planning and Deployment Best practices: Zahid Fadli is another of the RecoverPoint focused CSEs on our team. He will go into depths of how RecoverPoint can be configured, sized, architected for different environments. He will also cover best practices for the product in different environments. If you are a disaster recover practitioner, this is a session for you
- RecoverPoint: Data protection for cost sensitive environments: Boaz Michaely presents this session to help customers and potential customers understand how they can derive even more value from RecoverPoint – this will talk about all the choices we have to drive down cost – data compression, WAN optimization, virtual RecoverPoint appliance.
- VNX with VPLEX: Making Continous Operations seamless: I am presenting this VNX focused session which will cover all the goodness of VNX with VPLEX. In addition, it also covers the new items that we have introduced for integrations between VPLEX and VNX.
In addition, there are other partner sessions that also touch upon VPLEX and RecoverPoint. Here is the list:
- EMC ViPR: Explore the New ViPR Control Services.
- From Backup to Availability: Explore the Data Protection Continuum.
- PowerPath Advanced Multipathing: What’s New in 2014.
- VCE Vblock Data Protection and Mobility: Converge to Save Your Job.
- Buckle Up! A 15-demo & Technical Tour of What’s New & What’s NEXT in Data Protection and Availability.
- How Can ControlCenter & ProSphere Customers Make the Move to Storage Resource Management Suite.
- Increasing Intelligence & Efficiency With Data Protection Advisor: Demonstrating Real Proof of Data Protection
- AppSync 2.0: What’s New in 2014
- VMAX Performance: Performance Aspects of Remote Replication
To all our internal partners: a BIG THANK YOU for making these possible and helping make RecoverPoint and VPLEX strategic to your ecosystem.
Other activities related to VPLEX and RecoverPoint:
Guy Churchward and Stephen Manley’s will cover the DPAD Portfolio in their super session on Tue at 3:00PM
Area 53: This is a super secret session about future capabilities being developed in the bunkers at EMC. Rumors are that there will be a healthy dose of some of the products you know and love. This is on Tue at 4:30 PM
Birds-of-a-feather – Data Protection and Availability Executive Panel – Redefining Data Protection for a Software-Defined World: Ask the DPAD Executive team
Hands On Labs – We have eight hands-on-labs that are focused on VPLEX and RecoverPoint. Do take your time to go through these. This should give you a very tactile operational feel for how the products work. Do not hesitate to give us feedback on what things you would like to see improved. Here is the list of HoLs:
HOL 07 – VPLEX: Introduction to VPLEX and VPLEX Integrated Array Services (VIAS)
HOL 08 – MetroPoint: Enhanced 3-site protection with VPLEX Metro and RecoverPoint
HOL 09 – VPLEX Virtual Edition: Continuous Availability Delivered To Your Geographically Dispersed ESXi Environments
HOL 10 – RecoverPoint: Discover Operational Recovery and Disaster Recovery In A Multi-Site Environment
HOL 17 – SRM Suite for VPLEX
HOL 20 – The Data Protection Continuum: Getting More with EMC Data Protection & Availability
HOL 22 – ViPR 2.0 – Introduction to all new 2.0 features, including VPLEX Snaps, Local Mirroring
HOL 24 – Infrastructure-As-A-Service Made Easy With VSPEX
And there are show floor displays, booth presentations and theatre presentations in the DPAD theatre as well as in partner theatres. Last but not the least, if you are one of the 100+ customers with NDA conversations set up, we are looking forward to meeting you as well.
We are sending engineers, corporate systems engineers, architects and product managers to EMC World to help you get the best in terms of technical knowledge to help you understand the product, its directions and what capabilities we have added to it over the last year. I cannot wait for the show to kick off!